The Europe Today

Discover, Engage & Empower

South Korean Submarine Arrives in Canada for Joint Drills Amid Major Naval Export Bid

Canada

Vancouver Island, May 24, 2026 – The Europe Today: A South Korean Navy submarine has arrived at a Canadian port to participate in joint exercises with the Royal Canadian Navy, as South Korea intensifies efforts to secure a major submarine export contract with Canada worth approximately 60 trillion won (US$39.6 billion), according to media reports.

The 3,000-ton submarine ROKS Dosan Ahn Chang-ho entered the naval base at Esquimalt in Victoria, on Canada’s southwest coast, on Saturday local time after completing a 14,000-kilometre trans-Pacific voyage via Guam and Hawaii.

The deployment marks the first-ever transoceanic journey undertaken by a South Korean submarine and the first time the vessel has completed such a long-distance operational mission, according to the South Korean Navy. The submarine had departed from the naval base in Jinhae on March 25.

A 3,100-ton frigate, ROKS Daejeon, accompanied the submarine throughout the voyage. Two Canadian submariners also joined South Korean crew members during the final leg of the journey from Hawaii to Victoria.

The South Korean Navy said the mission demonstrates the operational capability of domestically built submarines to conduct extended long-range deployments, highlighting both system reliability and onboard endurance.

“It highlights the submarine’s operational capabilities, backed by high-quality onboard living conditions and the reliability of its systems and equipment,” the Navy said.

The deployment comes amid growing competition for Canada’s planned acquisition of up to 12 conventionally powered submarines. A South Korean industrial consortium comprising Hanwha Ocean and HD Hyundai Heavy Industries is competing against Germany’s Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems in partnership with Norway.

A final decision on the contract is expected in June.

Earlier this month, South Korea’s Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan held meetings in Ottawa with Canadian Foreign Minister Mélanie Joly and Energy and Natural Resources Minister Tim Hodgson to discuss the submarine procurement project and seek support for Seoul’s bid.

Senior naval officials are also expected to attend a welcome ceremony hosted by the Royal Canadian Navy, with Chief of Naval Operations Kim Kyung-ryul participating in engagements with Canadian counterparts.

Ahead of the arrival, discussions were held in Ottawa between South Korean naval leadership and Vice Adm. Angus Topshee, head of the Royal Canadian Navy, focusing on operational performance and potential cooperation.

Following joint drills with Canadian forces, the vessels are expected to take part in the U.S.-led multinational Rim of the Pacific Exercise in Hawaii in late June before returning to South Korea.